Parsi Sev is also known as Sweet Vermicelli in Indian Grocery Stores.
Serves 10 or 4 (see separate ingredient list )
Ingredients for serving 10 :
- 500 grams vermicelli, white or brown roasted
- 125 grams ghee or oil
- 500 grams sugar
- 2 ozs rose-water or 1 tbsp rose essence (optional)
- 125 grams almonds, blanched. sliced (optional)
- 125 grams raisins or currants (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutmeg and cardamom powder (optional)
- 500 grams water (approx 32 ozs)
Ingredients for serving 4 :
- 100 grams vermicelli, white or brown roasted
- 25 grams ghee or oil
- 100 grams sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar if you are diabetic)
- 1/2 ozs rose-water or 1/2 tsp rose essence (optional)
- 25 grams almonds, blanched. sliced (optional)
- 25 grams raisins or currants (optional)
- 1/4 tbsp nutmeg and cardamom powder (optional)
- 50 grams water (6 – 8 ozs or 1 cup)
- Fry the vermicelli in a wide and large utensil in ghee until golden brown color, stirring all the time.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar and water and boil.
- Then add this sugar and water mix to Vermicelli.
- Cover with lid, the flame being on full. After 3 minutes check if the water is absorbed and vermicelli cooked. If the water is not absorbed and vermicelli still a bit raw then reduce the heat to allow it to cook but not soggy. When completely cooked add the rose water or essence and the nutmeg, cardamom powder.
- Garnish with fried almonds and raisins.
Note: Add as little water you can to make Sev fluffy and light.
Recipe shared from ParsiCuisine.com
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.